Toddler Killed in Hit and Run Crash, Driver Under the Influence | Crime
SALINAS, Calif. -- A Salinas man was under the influence of alcohol when he backed into a one-year-old girl with his truck, killing her Monday night, Salinas Police said.
According to Salinas Police, the driver, Armando Bautista, who lives with the victim, backed up and hit the girl around 4:25 p.m. on the 1000 block of Chico Way and Calaveras Drive, then ran away. When officers arrived on scene they found the 1 1/2 year old toddler under the back wheel of a Bautisa's GMC Silverado pickup.
Officers and paramedics performed first aid to the child who was later transported to the Natividad Medical Center. The child died at the hospital as a result of severe head injuries. Police believe she ran from the house and into the path of the car.
After the accident, Bautista fled the area and did not wait for police and/or paramedics to arrive. Officers were able to make contact with him via telephone and determined that he fled to a nearby restaurant. Officers later arrived at the restaurant where they found Bautista and took him into custody without incident.
Bautista was determined to be under the influence of alcohol when he was contacted and determined to be under alcohol influence when he was involved in the accident. Bautista was booked at the Monterey County Jail for felony DUI, Hit and Run and driving while suspended. Case still under investigation.
The child's name is being withheld at this time pending family notification
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Low Cost Rabies Clinic Today at the Animal Hospital of Hollister
- Hollister Students Pay Tribute to Friend Who Died of Cancer By Special Dance at Graduation
- Hollister Police Find Body in Field
- Police Serve Warrants for Cockfighting Investigation, Over 100 Roosters Seized
- Suspicious Device Found in Hollister Turned Out to Be PG&E Equipment
- Bomb Squad Called Out to Investigate Suspicious Device Found in Seaside
- SANTCUARY CLASSIC: CHILDREN'S PHOTO AND FISHING CONTEST
- Roll-Over Accident Sends CalStar Helicopter to Seaside
- Bomb Squad Called to Seaside When Grenade Found During Monterey Murder Investigation
- Black Bear Spotted in Backyard of Home in Seaside