Fire Causes Evacuation at Salinas Elementary School, Fire 100% Contained | News
By Tom Jones - email
SALINAS, Calif. -- Students at Fremont Elementary School had quite a wake-up call, Wednesday morning, when they were evacuated after a fire broke out in a portable unit on campus.
The fire broke out around 8:40 a.m at the school, located on 1255 East Market in Salinas.
The Principal for the school tells Central Coast News that the portable unit was not being used by any classes or staff.
870 students were evacuated and all are accounted for.
Salinas Fire officials say the damaged portable unit is a total loss after the fire and they believe the fire originated in the heating unit.
A lockdown on campus has been lifted and students have been returned to class.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Low Cost Rabies Clinic Today at the Animal Hospital of Hollister
- Hollister Students Pay Tribute to Friend Who Died of Cancer By Special Dance at Graduation
- Hollister Police Find Body in Field
- Police Serve Warrants for Cockfighting Investigation, Over 100 Roosters Seized
- Suspicious Device Found in Hollister Turned Out to Be PG&E Equipment
- Bomb Squad Called Out to Investigate Suspicious Device Found in Seaside
- SANTCUARY CLASSIC: CHILDREN'S PHOTO AND FISHING CONTEST
- Roll-Over Accident Sends CalStar Helicopter to Seaside
- Bomb Squad Called to Seaside When Grenade Found During Monterey Murder Investigation
- Black Bear Spotted in Backyard of Home in Seaside