Hebbron Heights Shooting is a Wake Up Call | News
By Ricardo Navarro - email
"The efforts in the community is about filling hope in families, in the youth, in the kids, its the hope that's really going to drive them in that direction," said Pastor Frank Gomez. Pastor Gomez and others in the community are trying to drive violence out of Hebbron Heights. But last night's shooting, was a wake up call that have a long way to go.
25 year old Jonathan Perea Hernandez and his two friends were on their way home after attending a service at Vide Abudante Church on Pajaro Street. Right when they got out of their car, a group of men drove by shooting all three, killing Jonathan.
Vida Abudante Church is a place that reassures Frances McColum about being safe in East Salinas.
"it's really nice and refreshing that there's a church right there. It makes me feel really safe, that people are praying for this world, and for this neighborhood," said Frances.
Frances has lived in East Salinas for two years and was shocked to hear that Jonathan and his friends, members of Vida Abudante, were shot.
Salinas Police public information officer Miguel Cabrera said the men were not targets but "just at the wrong place at the wrong time."
And although gangs live in Hebbron Heights, police said the shooting isn't gang related. Jonathan's family said that he loved life and loved the lord. He did everything to stay away from violence. They also said he always went to church carrying a bible in his hand, and they never imagined something like this would happen, especially one block away from his home.
Salinas police said Hebbron Heights is still a focus. "If anything were going to increase our efforts to saturate this area," said Cabrera. And Pastor Gomez said the community's plan for peace isn't diminished. He said "I believe the community here is resilient ad they will hold on, they will take this hit and they will hold on."
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Low Cost Rabies Clinic Today at the Animal Hospital of Hollister
- Hollister Students Pay Tribute to Friend Who Died of Cancer By Special Dance at Graduation
- Hollister Police Find Body in Field
- Police Serve Warrants for Cockfighting Investigation, Over 100 Roosters Seized
- Suspicious Device Found in Hollister Turned Out to Be PG&E Equipment
- Bomb Squad Called Out to Investigate Suspicious Device Found in Seaside
- SANTCUARY CLASSIC: CHILDREN'S PHOTO AND FISHING CONTEST
- Roll-Over Accident Sends CalStar Helicopter to Seaside
- Bomb Squad Called to Seaside When Grenade Found During Monterey Murder Investigation
- Black Bear Spotted in Backyard of Home in Seaside